A compact refrigerator is small but yet keeps your favorite beverages and food cold just as well as your regular size fridge. They are super handy in a variety of places. Perfect for students living in a dorm with limited space or in your office to keep extra snacks and drinks available for those late night work sessions. A compact fridge is also the perfect addition to a guest room or the man cave.
Just like regular size refrigerators, compact fridges come in a variety of sizes and styles. They are measured in cubic feet. Keep that in mind when shopping and researching for one that fits your needs.
Some models are just the fridge compartment for chilling items where other models include the fridge and freezer combo. It’s important to have an understanding of what you need your compact fridge to accomplish before selecting one. Do you want a place to store extra beverages? Or, do you want to store extra snacks or even left overs? This will determine the size of fridge you need.
Our Picks for the Best Compact Refrigerators
We have rounded up the best compact refrigerators to help make your life a bit easier. Read on to learn more about the best compact refrigerators that the SousVideGuy recommends.
#1 Amazon Best Seller – AstroAI Portable AC/DC Power Cooler and Warmer Mini Fridge
This compact multi-purpose fridge is the #1 best seller on Amazon and can be used for both cooling and warming purposes. The capacity is only 4 liters so this is truly a compact fridge perfect for storing small items. This is best suited for canned beverages, medicines, small snacks, and even skincare items.
The AstroAI is awesome because it can go with you in the car. It comes with two plugs that fit your standard wall outlet and a 12V cigarette lighter for your vehicle.
This fridge has 4 liters of capacity and can store up 6 (12 ounce) cans with ease. It comes with a removable shelf that makes separating items a breeze.
This compact fridge is fun and stylish as it comes in four different colors; black, white, blue, or pink.
It’s also eco-friendly thanks to the freon-free refrigeration chip. Plus, the quiet technology keeps sound to a minimum.
- Amazing and responsive customer support. There is a 3 year warranty provided by AstroAI.
- Ability to cool or warm items.
- Portable and plugs into the car for taking items on the go.
- May be too small for some depending upon what your needs are.
- May not keep items as cold as some of the larger compact refrigerators.
Top Overall Fridge/Freezer Combo – hOmeLabs Mini Fridge
This compact refrigerator measures at 3.3 cubic feet and fits perfectly as an under the counter refrigerator that includes a small freezer.
The hOmeLabs Mini Fridge is perfect for small spaces. It has a large storage capacity but yet is compact so that it doesn’t take up a ton of space. This is perfect for dorm rooms, playrooms, the game room, the man cave, the garage, office, or anywhere you want to store some extra drinks and snacks.
Enjoy adjustable temperature control with the thermostat knob that can be adjusted in three different temperature modes including max, medium, and minimum. When using the medium and maximum modes, you can freeze ice inside of the freezing chamber.
It looks good no matter where you put it. The fridge is designed with a sleek black exterior that looks stylish and classy in any setting. There is one single door that has a super cool design feature. You can write personal notes on the front. No more forgetting to jot down when you run out of your favorite snacks! The inside is flexible too with removable glass shelves that can be adjusted depending on the size of your items. The door is reversible and offers a spot for canned beverages as well as a compartment that holds a bottle of wine or a two liter bottle of soda.
Don’t worry about drips because this comes with a removable drain that catches any freezer drips when you defrost it.
hOmeLabs offers a 1-year warranty and free return or exchange within 30 days of order receipt.
- Adjustable shelves to accommodate your items.
- It’s a bit larger than most “compact” refrigerators without taking up a ton of space.
- Peace of mind with a one year warranty.
- It actually keeps your drinks really cold.
- Stylish and functional at the same time.
- The motor may be a bit noisy…especially in a bedroom.
- This may work best just as a fridge as the freezer isn’t the best option and doesn’t stay frozen at all times.
Elegant + Versatile Design – Black & Decker Compact Refrigerator
This compact fridge has a single carved door with two full-width glass shelves along with a freezer compartment for ice.
The Black & Decker Compact Refrigerator is 2.5 cubic feet and is designed with a space-saving flat-black design. The compact design means that it will fit virtually anywhere. Organization is the name of the game with this fridge. The reversible door and leveling legs make it spacious and versatile for all your needs.
We think this is a great blend of options one and two for those that are limited in space. It fits nicely under or next to a desk or in small corners thanks for the space saving flat design.
The shelves are adjustable for maximum organization plus it comes with an adjustable thermostat control. There is a full width freezer compartment for an ice cube tray.
- 2 full width glass shelves for organizing various items.
- 2 full width door shelves that can accommodate 2 liter soda bottles or wine bottles.
- 1 year warranty on parts & labor; 2 year warranty on compressor.
- Energy Star Certified.
- The motor tends to be a bit noisy so keep that in mind depending upon where you store it.
- The freezer may not keep things frozen but the fridge is nice and cool.
Eco-friendly – RCA RFR320 Single Door Mini Fridge with Freezer
This compact fridge is 3.2 cubic feet and blends contemporary style, cutting edge technology all in a CFC free body which makes this the eco-friendly choice. It also handles cold food storage in an environmentally sustainable way.
The RCA FBA Mini Refrigerator features a built-in can dispenser and a freezer compartment along with ample shelf space in the door. The shelves can be rearranged easily and the temperature is adjustable. The reversible door makes it easy to fit into the layout of your room or kitchen.
Show off your personal style as this comes in black, white, stainless steel, blue, orange, purple, or red. The flush back design and invisible door handle also give this a modern look.
- Lots of storage and versatility to rearrange shelving to accommodate your items.
- Compressor Cooling for ultimate performance even in hot weather
- The design is sleek, modern, and simple.
- The freezer compartment is very small.
- A lot of users reported that it arrived with many dings and scratches.
Things To Ask Yourself When Buying an Compact Refrigerator
There are many options to choose from when looking for a compact refrigerator. Compact fridges come with a wide range of features and styles. The most important things to think about are your personal situation and available space. Consider these questions when researching your compact fridge purchase.
What kind of space do you have?
Not all compact refrigerators are created equal. Think about where you will store your fridge. How much space do you have? The larger the cubic feet of the fridge, the bigger the storage space and the more space it will take up.
Also, consider the type of items you intend on storing in your fridge. Will you keep just canned beverages or also food items? Interestingly enough, bigger units are typically more energy efficient. Something to keep in mind.
What type of fridge do you need?
In general, compact refrigerators come in three basic configurations.
- Tall – These are the largest compact fridges at just about 4 cubic feet. Due to the size, the thermostat and cooling tends to perform the best. These are the most efficient and are sometimes called “under the counter” fridges.
- Two-Door. These models come with a separate freezer compartment.
- Cube. These models are the smallest at less than 2 cubic feet. These are best if you’re pressed for space and only need a fridge and not a freezer.
- Portable Beverage Fridge. This is a compact fridge that is solely designed for beverages or small items. They are much smaller than any other compact fridge. Models like the AstroAI fall into this category. These are usually portable meaning they can also plug into the cigarette lighter in your vehicle.
What kind of fridge storage do you need?
Don’t let size fool you. Some of the most compact refrigerators have the best organization. Take into consideration the type of storage you’ll need. Lots of fridges come with removable/adjustable shelves. This allows you to raise or lower to accommodate various sized items. Many models also come with door shelves or can dispensers too.
Compact fridges can be built with reversible doors that can be opened to the left or right. This is important if you’re working with a small space.
Again, it goes back to really understanding how you need your compact fridge to perform.
What is your style?
As you can see in our selections, some models give you lots of options in terms of colors. If that’s important to you, make sure you select a model that offers various color options like the RCA or AstroAI models. You want something that fits your personal style but also looks great in your space. Consider what room will house your fridge. If in doubt, you can’t go wrong with a stainless steel, black, or white option.
What kind of features do you want?
Do you need a freezer? These can be useful for making ice-cubes or storing frozen food items.
What kind of shelving? Shelves come in glass or wire and can be adjustable or not. The benefits of glass shelves is that they are easier to clean up in case of any spills. This becomes even more important if you’re storing liquid or beverages.
There are so many different uses for a compact fridge. They make a great backup to your regular size fridge or in some cases can replace a large fridge if you don’t spend a ton of time cooking. They make the best choice for small rooms and small living spaces such as a dorm or office.
The four different compact refrigerators we shared here in this post were selected to meet different needs and lifestyles. When purchasing a compact fridge, consider how much space you have, what you’ll put in the fridge, the type of fridge you need, and what other features you want. As you’re shopping, think about all of these different questions and features so that you can make the best choice.