Have you ever thought about buying copper cookware? It’s gorgeous, glamorous, and warm. It also provides excellent thermal conductivity. It heats up quickly, saving you time and energy, and it has uniform heat distribution.
While it is no doubt the most beautiful cookware you can have, it can get expensive and it is high maintenance. You can’t simply throw copper cookware in the dishwasher. Instead, you have to wash each piece by hand and dry immediately so the copper does not discolor or gain spots from the water droplets, and then you need to polish it to maintain the glistening sheen.
Let’s find out about some of the most popular copper cookware sets available on the market today:
This set includes your choice of seven, eight, or 11 pieces of cookware, and all items have an outermost layer of copper. The copper exterior heats and cools quickly, which allows for precise control of temperature.
The core of each piece is actually made of aluminum, with an interior of stainless steel – hence, the name ‘triple-ply.’ These, along with the copper exterior, ensure even heat distribution along the bottom and side walls of your pots, which cooks your food more uniformly, without hot spots. The mirror brushed stainless steel interior offers durability, stain- and scratch-resistance, and a non-stick surface.
The pieces are oven safe up to 500 degrees Fahrenheit. And of course they can be used on the stove top. Because these pots and pans have high heat conduction, you should refrain from using them on high heat, even when boiling water, and never leave your pan empty on a hot burner.
Each pot has a stainless steel lid which forms a perfect fit with the rim of its pan, to lock in moisture. This helps maintain flavor and cook faster.
The contoured, stainless steel handles are cool to the touch and ergonomically designed for a comfortable grip. However, remember that if you put any of these pots or pans in the oven, the handle will also get hot.
The best place to store this set is to hang them from a cookware rack. Stacking them in cabinets may cause them to get scratched.
One drawback is the exterior is not stain-resistant. However, this is to be expected since the exterior is made of copper, and you are buying this set for its exceptional exterior look. Just remember to hand wash and dry immediately. You need to take care of this set in order to maintain its beauty. If it does develop a stain, try removing it with vinegar or a non-abrasive cleaner.
- Set of seven, eight, or 11 pieces of cookware, all with an outermost layer of copper
- Copper exterior heats and cools quickly, and has precise temperature control
- Each piece has an aluminum core and brushed mirror finished stainless steel interior
- Cooks food evenly, without hot spots, and oven-safe up to 500 degrees Fahrenheit
- Each pot has stainless steel lid that forms a perfect fit with its pot
- Handles are contoured, ergonomically designed, cool-touch stainless steel
- None, other than the tendency to discolor, which is common with copper pots and pans
This beautiful pan has a hammered copper finish that is very durable and well-made. It also comes with a matching lid. The pan and lid are not lined or lacquered – a rare find. Because it is not lined, this pan should ONLY be used for cooking non-acidic food.
Chefs often use this pan to warm sugar or syrups when they are making desserts.
It is designed to heat your food quickly and evenly. It can reach temperatures of about 300 degrees Fahrenheit with minimal stirring required, and without scorching. It can achieve higher temperatures but this is not recommended.
It has a long handle that is ergonomically designed for comfort, as well as a loop handle. Both handles are made of brass for added durability.
When cleaning this pan, use some vinegar and any dark spots should disappear.
One drawback is the handles are not cool-touch. The pan also scratches easily so make sure to use soft silicone utensils.
- Copper pan and lid are unlined and unlacquered, which appeals to some users
- Hammered copper finish is beautiful yet durable
- Heats food quickly and evenly
- Reaches medium temperatures without scorching
- Has long, ergonomically designed handle as well as loop handle
- Handles are not cool-touch
- Pan may scratch easily – make sure to use soft silicone utensils only
- Must only be used with non-acidic foods
This reasonably priced set is highly favored by online users. It includes 10 pieces of cookware, all made with sturdy, triple-metal construction. The copper exterior is gorgeous, and the core is made of aluminum. The interior is high grade stainless steel. Together, these metals will heat up your food quickly and evenly. They consistently regulate the temperature, and they also cool down rapidly.
Over long-term use, the rustic hammered copper exterior will acquire natural rainbow hues stemming from the heating and oxidation. If you do not like the change in color, you can also use a copper cleaning product to try to restore the natural copper lustre.
All pieces are compatible with electric, gas, and ceramic stoves, and are safe in the oven or broiler.
One handy feature is the stock pot and sauce pans all come with measurement markings.
The pans have flared rims which make pouring simple and easy, with no drips. The rims are made of stainless steel, which ensures your food does not touch the aluminum core or the copper exterior.
The pots and pans have smooth, sturdy, comfortable stainless steel handles and light weight polished stainless steel lids. The lids make a tight seal which locks in flavor and moisture.
Like all copper cookware, this set is not dishwasher safe. You will need to hand wash it, dry quickly, and polish. However, many users have found this set to be easy to clean.
One drawback some users have noticed is the copper exterior is thin and can strip off. Also, some people find the lids to be too light weight.
- Set of 10 pieces of cookware, all with rustic hammered copper exterior
- Each piece has aluminum core and high grade stainless steel interior
- They heat up food quickly and evenly, regulate temperature well, and cool down rapidly
- Compatible with electric, gas, ceramic stoves, as well as oven and broiler
- Stock pot and sauce pans come with measurement markings
- Flared rims for easy pouring, sturdy stainless steel handles and stainless steel lids
- Copper exterior is thin and can strip off
- Some users find the lids are too light weight
This 13-piece cookware set offers you the benefits of cooking with copper without the expense. The copper is found only on the bottom of the pans, and not the walls, which reduces the price. The set is practical, versatile, and convenient to use every day.
Each piece is made of a thick-gauge aluminum core with durable 18/10 stainless steel interior and exterior. At the bottom, there is a copper disk that has five copper lines. The lines radiate like a star.
The combination of metals allows effective and efficient heating. The aluminum core and copper at the bottom warm up rapidly and evenly and conduct heat well. The stainless steel layer adds durability and stability.
This set can be used on all types of stoves except induction. The pans are oven-safe up to 500 degrees.
Each pan has measuring markings for convenience.
The pans have clear glass lids, which makes it easy to check on what you are cooking without having to lift the lids and lose heat. Each lid has a vent hole which allows steam to escape so your liquids do not boil over.
They also have riveted stainless steel handles.
These pots and pans are easy to clean. Although they do not have a non-stick coating, they clean out easily by hand washing with soapy water. They are not dishwasher safe and you should avoid scouring pads and harsh detergents.
One drawback is the copper is only present on the bottom of the pan and not the sides. Also, the handles are not cool-touch.
- 13-piece cookware set offers benefits of cooking with copper without the expense
- Copper is found only on bottom, which reduces the price
- Made of aluminum core and stainless steel interior
- Excellent heat conductivity; heats quickly and evenly
- Can be used on most stove surfaces, and in oven up to 500 degrees Fahrenheit
- Clear glass lids with vent hole, and riveted stainless steel handles
- Copper is only on the bottom and not on the sides of the pans
- The handles are not cool-touch
How to shop for copper cookware
The first thing to do when you are looking for copper cookware is to determine what you will be using it for. If you plan to use it to cook all sorts of things, including acidic food, it is best to choose copper pans that are lined on the interior with stainless steel. This is because acidic foods like lemon, vinegar, or tomato can cause copper to interact with your food, which can be harmful.
If on the other hand you plan to use the pan to cook non-acidic foods ONLY, such as dessert syrups, you can choose copper that is unlined.
Here are a few other features to look out for when considering a copper cookware set:
- Thickness: A thicker pan is more durable and high quality, and less likely to warp. Pans with thicker construction sit more firmly on your stove top and tend to last longer. A thickness of 2.5 to 3 mm is ideal.
- Handles: Cool-touch handles are ideal. Also look for handles that are contoured, ergonomic, and built at a slight angle. These offer you a lot of control while cooking. Handles can also be attractive and add to the aesthetic appeal of the pan.
- Cooktop compatibility: Copper cookware is generally safe for all stove tops. If you have an induction stove, however, double check whether it will be compatible. Likewise, check if it is oven-safe. Above all, once you have your copper pans, make sure not to overheat them on the stove as this can stain them. Do not allow them to boil dry or get super-hot.
- Finish: The choice is entirely up to your aesthetic preference. Copper pans are expensive, so make sure they are not just functional but they are also beautiful. The options include high-shine, hammered finishes, or flat or matte.
How to clean copper cookware
You should really only buy a copper cookware set if you are willing to spend the time and effort to keep them clean and maintained. You cannot simply throw them in the dishwasher. Instead, stir together lemon juice and salt, and rub it into your copper pan. After this, wash the pain with warm water and soap. Immediately dry the pan until it is shiny. And give it a polish every once in a while. Store the pans by hanging them up on a rack. Don’t scratch your beautiful pans by stacking them in cabinets.
You’ve seen some of the most popular copper cookware sets on the market today, along with their pros and cons, and you have learned about the most important features to look for when searching for a set of your own. If you are willing to spend the time and effort needed to care for a set like this, you are well prepared to go out there and find some copper pans of your own. They are sure to be a topic of conversation in your kitchen for many years to come!