Are you an instant coffee fan? You’re in good company. Almost half of the countries in the Asia-Pacific region drink instant coffee rather than fresh brewed, and that number rises to 75% in Australia and New Zealand. Here in North America, it’s not quite as popular due to our obsession with fresh-brewed but it can taste just as good. Instant coffee has the added bonus of being able to include extra vitamins, and being able to accommodate special diets. Let’s find out about some of the most popular types of instant coffee available on the market today.
This ‘bone broth’ instant coffee powder is great for ketogenic, paleo, and weight loss diets. It is low-carb, free of sugar, dairy, and grains, and it includes collagen. It has a soft, chocolate flavor that tastes great. Lots of people like to drink this coffee black, where they would normally take cream and sugar.
The coffee was developed by Dr. Kellyann Petrucci, a biological medicine specialist in Switzerland, who created the Bone Broth Revolution. She had come to realize that bone broth and collagen had the power to heal the gut and slow aging. She has focused her practice on developing a lifestyle that reverses inflammation, and she has helped patients become healthier and slimmer.
It comes in packs of 15 pouches, each containing 0.28 ounces of coffee powder. Each packet contains just 30 calories, 0 g of fat, 0 g of carbs, 6 g of protein, and 0 g of sugar. It is made with real, non-GMO ingredients. The added hydrolyzed collagen powder is 100% grass-fed. Each packet contains 6 g of collagen.
There are a number of health benefits associated with this coffee powder. It can help reduce gut inflammation. In fact, a study has shown that people with gut inflammation from IBS have lower levels of collagen, so increasing collagen can help.
One thing to note is this coffee contains the same amount of caffeine as regular coffee.
Users have noted a few drawbacks. First, this coffee is only available in a box of 15 individualized packets (which doesn’t last long) rather than a large jar. Second, the nutritional content label is confusing.
- ‘Bone broth’ instant coffee powder is great for keto, paleo, and weight loss diets
- Tastes great; many users like to drink it black
- Low-carb, and free of sugar, dairy, and grains
- Each packet contains just 30 calories, 0 g of fat, 0 g of carbs, 6 g of protein, and 0 g of sugar
- Added hydrolyzed collagen powder is 100% grass-fed
- Only available in a box of 15 individualized packets, which does not last long
- Nutritional content label is confusing
Keto Coffee is a sugar-free instant coffee powder with a lightly sweetened, bold, creamy taste. It supports your ketogenic diet and all you have to do is add water. It also can provide you with energy, focus, and a metabolic boost.
This coffee is delicious, functional, and convenient.
Each serving contains 6 g of premium MCT (an oil that kickstarts ketone production and boosts metabolism), as well as 180 mg of naturally occurring caffeine. It’s a great way to start your day or give yourself a pick-me-up. Use it on the run and power your day.
This coffee is paleo-friendly, gluten-free, and contains no artificial sweeteners, colors, or flavors. The ingredients all originate from 100% non-GMO sources. This coffee is made with the finest Brazilian gourmet coffee beans. The beans come from fair trade, conflict-free zones and the MCTs from renewable, ecologically friendly sources.
One drawback is it may be too sweet for some people.
- Sugar-free instant coffee powder with a lightly sweetened, bold, creamy taste
- Provides you with energy, focus, and a metabolic boost
- Supports the ketogenic diet
- Paleo-friendly, gluten-free, and contains no artificial sweeteners, colors, or flavors
- Ingredients all originate from 100% non-GMO sources
- Beans come from fair trade, conflict-free zones
- May be too sweet for some people
This premium instant coffee powder is a dark roast with an intense, slightly chocolatey flavor. It is a 100% Arabica blend, which provides a rich, fragrant taste. It is strong and full-bodied, and enriched with 10% finely ground coffee beans. It does not have the tart, acidic feel that comes with most instant coffees.
It tastes great mixed with hot milk.
This coffee has been manufactured since 1985 by the Lavazza family, who have dedicated themselves to the passion of pursuing perfection in coffee.
It is Kosher and each package contains 3.35 ounces of coffee powder.
One drawback is the high price. Also, because it ships from Great Britain, there is a three to four week delivery time.
- Dark roast with an intense, slightly chocolatey flavor
- 100% Arabica blend, which provides a rich, fragrant taste
- Enriched with 10% finely ground coffee beans
- Tastes great mixed with hot milk
- Long delivery time
This instant keto coffee mix supports energy, metabolism, weight loss, and of course, the ketogenic diet. In addition to its great-tasting Organic Green Mountain Coffee, which has 150 mg of caffeine per serving, it also includes coconut oil, MCT oil, healthy fatty acids, grass-fed butter, and Himalayan pink salt. This combination provides a robust flavor in a nutritious, fat-burning, low-carb coffee.
It makes a delicious, smooth, and cream cup of coffee! This coffee can be consumed as a hot or cold beverage. It provides a feeling of fullness while providing just 100 calories per serving.
MCTs and healthy fatty acids boost the body’s production of ketones, to help improve brain function, metabolism, and weight loss. Instead of storing as fat, it quickly metabolizes to ketone energy. Coconut oil is also known to support cognitive function and weight management.
It contains energizing compounds, antioxidants to protect your health, and essential fatty acids.
This coffee powder is gluten- and soy-free, and does not contain artificial ingredients. The butter used in this powder comes from cows that were raised in a pasture and fed grass only, with no antibiotics or hormones. Butter contains a fatty acid that helps promote digestion.
The Himalayan salt in this coffee powder contains more than 80 minerals and elements, and contains less sodium than table salt. It helps metabolism, circulation, and nutrient absorption, and helps create a balance of electrolytes.
Each canister contains 7.93 ounces of coffee powder.
- Coffee mix supports energy, metabolism, weight loss, and the ketogenic diet
- Contains coconut oil, MCT oil, healthy fatty acids, grass-fed butter, and Himalayan pink salt
- Provides a robust flavor in a nutritious, fat-burning, low-carb coffee
- Provides a feeling of fullness and yet just 100 calories per serving
- Contains energizing compounds, antioxidants, and essential fatty acids
- Gluten- and soy-free, and does not contain artificial ingredients
- None mentioned by users
These instant coffee powder singles are infused with 13 daily multivitamins. Each stick pack is one serving of delicious coffee brewed from 100% Columbian Arabica beans. Enjoy this coffee hot or cold. You can brew it anywhere – at home, travelling, or camping. It has a smooth, bold taste.
This coffee contains the daily essentials to keep healthy. It is packed with vitamins B6, C, and E, and biotin to help make your skin and hair healthier, and improving your moods and sleep. It includes vitamins A, B12, K, thiamin, and folate, which help to power your body’s functions. It features vitamin B3 or niacin, which helps ease arthritis, improve brain function, and lower cholesterol. In addition, it has vitamin D, for bone health and to reduce inflammation.
It contains no artificial flavors, sweeteners, dyes, preservatives, and there is no extra sugar added or excess sodium. It is free of gluten and GMOs. The coffee is FDA-regulated.
Each package includes 30 individually packaged instant coffee packets.
One drawback is some users say this coffee is bitter. However, other users think the coffee tastes fantastic, so it really about personal preference.
- Instant coffee powder singles
- Infused with 13 daily multivitamins: vitamin A, C, D, E, K, various B vitamins, folate and thiamin
- Brewed from 100% Colombian Arabica beans
- Smooth, bold taste
- Contains no artificial flavors, sweeteners, dyes, preservatives
- No extra sugar added or excess sodium; free of gluten and GMOs
- Some users find this coffee bitter
Instant coffee trivia
Here are some tidbits of trivia about this popular drink:
- Instant coffee is an old drink. It has been around a long time. It was invited in 1890 by David Strang and has gained in popularity over the years.
- Instant coffee is a dry, concentrated form of fresh-brewed coffee. It may look like a powder, crystals, or granules, and it works well making both hot and iced coffee.
- Instant coffee dissolves in water while regular ground coffee will not.
- Instant coffee is basically brewed coffee with the water removed. This is done by spray drying or freeze drying. Spray drying requires high temperatures (around 480 degrees Fahrenheit) and freeze drying does not. Freeze drying is more expensive and tends to make a more flavorful, higher quality instant coffee.
- To make instant coffee (before spray- or freeze-drying), the coffee beans are roasted the same way as with regular coffee, and different degrees of roasting can be used, to make light, medium, or dark blends.
- Instant coffee is no worse for your health than regular coffee, and it generally contains less caffeine.
- Dark roasted coffee has less caffeine than a light roast – who knew!
- The two main types of beans used in instant coffee are Arabica and Robusta beans. Arabica is more popular due to its sweet flavor that is reminiscent of chocolate, fruit, nuts, and caramel. Robusta is more earthy and bitter with hints of pepper, and tends to be less expensive.
- The best quality instant coffee is generally freeze-dried and made with 100% Arabica beans.
Instant coffee has become a staple in many kitchens today. That’s because it tastes great and can come packed with nutrients and vitamins. There are lots of choices available. Check out a few brands – there is sure to be one that you’ll love.