Oven mitts are not the sexiest accessories you have in your kitchen but they are among the most essential. They may not look as cool as your espresso maker, but they will keep your hands safe and burn-free. Everyone from your teenagers to the grandparents will need to use the oven mitts at some point. So why not get a good quality pair to keep your entire family safe?
Oven mitts are made of many different types of material and one excellent choice is silicone. Let’s take a look at the most popular brands of silicone oven mitts on the market today:
These silicone oven mitts are waterproof and perfect for grilling with. Use them for cooking, baking, any chore where your hands could get close to a hot element. They come with a non-slip potholder. This set comes in a variety of colors, including black, blue, green, and orange.
The outer material is made of FDA grade, BPA-free silicone, and the fill is cotton. These oven mitts are heat-resistant from -104 to 446 degrees Fahrenheit. The outer silicone maximizes heat protection and the inner cotton is heat resistant, comfortable, and wicks away moisture.
The gloves have a long sleeve, measuring 13.7 inches in length, to keep your wrists and arms safe. The surface of the gloves is non-slip.
They come with a rope on the cuff which you can use to hang up the gloves when not in use. Perfect for storage.
They are durable and environmentally friendly. These mitts are easy to clean and dishwasher safe.
One drawback is the cotton material on the inside of the gloves is white, which makes it easy to stain. Also, they do not seem to fit large hands very well.
- Set of durable silicone oven mitts and pot holder
- Oven mitts made of BPA-free silicone with comfortable cotton lining
- Heat resistant from -104 to 446 degrees Fahrenheit
- Waterproof, comfortable, non-slip, and wicks away moisture
- Long sleeve measures 13.7 inches
- Easy to clean and dishwasher safe
- Inside cotton lining is white and easily stained
- Gloves do not fit large hands very well
This four-piece set includes a pair of premium silicone oven mitts and two soft, slip-resistant pot holders. They come in a choice of black or aqua.
The ultra-grade silicone is durable and has a honeycomb texture, which provides a better grip. The silicone is also flexible and fits the shape of your hand, making the mitts easy to use when carving, BBQ’ing, baking, and doing other forms of cooking.
These mitts are heat-resistant up to 484 degrees Fahrenheit. They measure 12.5 inches long, which will provide significant coverage for your arms. They are waterproof, so hot liquids cannot get through and burn your hands.
They are lined with a cotton/polyester blend which provides extra comfort and protection. Despite the fabric lining, users have said they never feel heat when using the mitts to take pans out of the oven. There is no fabric on the outside of the mitts, so you won’t have to deal with stains or difficulties with cleaning.
The mitts come with a loop which you can use to hang them up when you’re not using them.
They are super easy to clean. Just rinse them under water to clean. If they really get grimy, remove the cotton/polyester insert and throw it in the washing machine; the silicone part of the mitts can be put in the dishwasher.
- Set includes silicone oven mitts and two pot holders
- Made of durable, waterproof, ultra-grade silicone
- Honeycomb texture provides better grip
- Flexible, fits the shape of your hand, which makes them easy to use
- Heat resistant up to 484 degrees Fahrenheit
- Lined with cotton/polyester blend for extra comfort and protection
- None mentioned by users
These heat-resistant, silicone oven gloves offer a lot of dexterity compared to the traditional mitt shape. This results in having a lot more control than other brands when moving hot pans or grilling. They have a super sensitive grip, and the best comfort and feel.
They are insulated with M-aramid and P-aramid fabrics and will not catch fire. They can tolerate temperatures up to 932 degrees Fahrenheit.
They are thick but lightweight, and flexible. Also, at 12 inches long, they offer good coverage of your arm.
Another nice feature is they are machine washable. Then simply hang them up with the handy hook for storage.
One drawback is they are quite large and do not suit small hands. And keep in mind they are not waterproof.
- Heat-resistant, silicone oven gloves
- Glove design offers more dexterity and better grip
- Excellent comfort and feel
- Insulated with M-aramid and P-aramid fabrics and will not catch fire
- Can tolerate up to 932 degrees Fahrenheit
- Machine washable
- Large; do not suit small hands
- Not waterproof
These extra-long professional silicone oven mitts are heat-proof, non-slip, and easy to maneuver. You can comfortably lift a hot cast iron skillet or roasting pan from the oven without fear of burning. They are heat-safe up to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
They come in cute colors like turquoise, aqua, red, yellow, and navy blue.
They are flexible and have textured palms for added grip. These mitts are lined with polyester/cotton which adds extra comfort and protection. They are quilted on the inside for breathability.
They measure 15 inches long, which provides lots of protection for your forearms, almost up to your elbows.
The mitts are waterproof and won’t absorb liquids. They are steam-resistant.
These mitts are stain-resistant and easy to clean. Simply throw them in the washing machine. They also have a hanging loop for easy storage.
- Non-slip, waterproof, heat-proof professional silicone oven mitts
- Available in cute colors like turquoise, aqua, red, yellow, navy blue
- Fifteen inches long, which covers almost up to the elbows
- Flexible, with textured palms for added grip
- Lined with quilted polyester/cotton for comfort, breathability, and protection
- Stain-resistant and easy to clean; machine washable
- None mentioned by users
These silicone oven mitts and pot holders are heat-resistant, flexible, and long.
The BPA-free silicone is durable and sturdy, and the mitts are heat-resistant up to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. The mitts are waterproof, non-toxic, and stain-resistant.
The mitts have a unique textured pattern that make them slip-resistant, with a nice grip.
At 15 inches, they are among the longest when it comes to oven mitts. This provides optimal coverage of your forearms, right up to your elbows.
The lining is made of quilted natural, breathable cotton, for a soft, comfortable feel.
They are easy to clean either by washing by hand or throwing in the washing machine. Afterwards, simply tumble dry. Then hang up with the loop for easy storage.
- Silicone oven mitts and pot holders
- Heat-resistant up to 450 degrees Fahrenheit
- Waterproof, non-toxic, stain-resistant, non-slip
- Fifteen inches long, for optimal coverage
- Lining is made of quilted, natural, breathable, comfortable cotton
- Easy to clean; machine wash and tumble dry
- None mentioned by users
These extra-long, silicone oven mitts are great for grilling, baking, and all other types of cooking. The mitts are heat-resistant up to 572 degrees Fahrenheit. They measure 13 inches long, for excellent forearm protection.
The honeycomb texture is non-slip and offers better grip. They are also waterproof, so hot water and steam will never hurt you. They are lined with heat-resistant, quilted polyester and cotton for added comfort.
These mitts are flexible, making them easy to maneuver.
They are easy to clean by hand with warm, soapy water, and hanging up to dry.
One drawback is they are a large and wide fit. They are a bit loose for the average woman’s hands.
- Extra-long, non-slip silicone oven mitts
- Heat-resistant up to 572 degrees Fahrenheit
- Honeycomb texture offers better grip
- Thirteen inches long, for good forearm protection
- Flexible and easy to maneuver
- Easy to clean by hand with warm soapy water
- Large and wide fit
Why choose silicone?
Cloth oven mitts may be cute, but those made of silicone are so much more practical. They are waterproof, heavy duty, and heat-resistant. They also generally have a lot of flexibility and dexterity.
Silicone is much more heat-resistant than the other materials used to make oven mitts. Fabric mitts only protect up to 200 degrees Fahrenheit, and neoprene up to 400 degrees F.
And what’s more, many silicone oven mitts are safe in the dishwasher or washing machine.
Cotton mitts are softer to wear and may wash better in the machine, but silicone is more durable and easy to spot clean. Oven mitts made of silicone exterior and cotton lining are a nice compromise between the two materials.
What to consider when buying silicone oven mitts
If you have decided to buy silicone oven mitts, the rest of your buying decision really comes down to the shape. The most common style is a one-size-fits-all oversized mitten. It allows your thumb to stay separate from your other fingers, but limits your hand movement somewhat. Another shape is a mitt that separates your thumb away in a shape more like a hand puppet. This allows a more natural grabbing action but your thumb might feel uncomfortable situated directly underneath your fingers. The third shape is a glove, but this is hard to fit to all hand sizes.
Oven mitt trivia
Here are a few extra tidbits of info about these handy kitchen items:
- Believe it or not, the term ‘oven mitt’ does not stand for oven mittens. Oven mitts were invented by a Texan baker named Earl Mitt, hence the name. His original version was made of wool and leather.
- Early patented oven mitts and potholders, used around the 1890s, incorporated paper as the insulation.
- Some oven mitts have finger sockets, so they are really oven gloves, and they have better hand control and grip. There are also special ‘furnace gloves’ which can withstand temperatures that are much higher than your usual oven mitts.
Silicone oven mitts are a staple of the kitchen, and a great accessory to have for safety purposes. You can cook, bake, grill, and keep your hands protected in the process. Through comparing the various brands available on the market, and evaluating their features, you will be sure to find the silicone oven mitts that work best for you and your family.
Photo credit: Africa Studio/Shutterstock