When you want to whip up a quick batch of cookies or knead some fresh bread dough, you could definitely do it by hand. If you really want to emphasize the “quick,” however, you may want to consider investing in a new kitchen appliance: a stand mixer. Stand mixers are extremely versatile and convenient so, even though you may not need one, you’ll certainly be glad to have one.
The Top Stand Mixers
You could spend 10 minutes whipping egg whites by hand, or you could pour them into the bowl of a stand mixer, turn it on, and walk away while the mixer does the work. The primary benefit of a stand mixer is the convenience of being able to leave it running without having to hold it, though that’s not the only benefit. These appliances offer a wide range of benefits.
If you don’t have a stand mixer, you may not even know what you’re missing. These machines can be used for everything from mixing batter and whipping egg whites to kneading dough, making pasta, and more. With the right attachments, there’s nothing you can’t do with a stand mixer.
Not only are stand mixers extremely versatile in their application, but they come in all colors, sizes, and varieties. It’s easy to find the perfect mixer to suit your needs and your taste.
Here are the best stand mixers on the market:
Award: Best Overall
For a stand mixer that does it all, this is the model you want. Not only does it come with upgraded options like a 5-quart glass bowl, but there are 15 attachments to choose from.
When it comes to stand mixers, KitchenAid is the name most people think of. Though KitchenAid offers a wide variety of options, the Artisan Series 5-Quart Stand Mixer is our top pick. This mixer features a sturdy construction with 10 speed settings and a powerful motor so you can bake all day long.
The KitchenAid Artisan Series 5-Quart Stand Mixer features a large glass bowl and comes with a coated metal flat beater, a metal dough hook, and a wire whip. You also have the option to purchase up to 15 different attachments that do everything from roll and cut pasta to slice veggies. Plus, the tilt-head features makes it easy to swap out attachments or scrape down the bowl as needed.
Not only does the Artisan Series mixer look stylish, but it comes in several different colors including Candy Apple Red, Azure Blue, and Sugar Pearl Silver.
- Large 5-quart glass bowl and tilt-head feature
- Comes with flat beater, dough hook, and wire whip
- Multipurpose attachment hub, over 15 options
- Some attachments may not be dishwasher safe
- Fairly heavy, may be difficult to move
- Price: $429
- Capacity: 5 quarts
- Included: Glass bowl, flat beater, wire whisk, dough hook
- Features: 10 speeds, tilt-head, powerful motor
Award: Best Compact
Having a stand mixer is great, but you may not want to look at it all the time. This compact mixer fits into standard kitchen cabinets for easy storage.
Stand mixers are versatile and convenient, but they aren’t an appliance everyone uses every day. If you have limited counter space, you probably don’t want a giant mixer that takes up a lot of space. The Dash Go Everyday Stand Mixer is lightweight and compact, perfectly sized to fit in your kitchen cabinet.
The Dash Go Everyday Stand Mixer comes in bright colors like pastel blue and bubblegum pink as well as classics like black and white. This mixer has 6 preset speeds and a revolving bowl. It also comes with double dough hooks and double beaters to ensure a smooth mix. You’ll get a 3-quart stainless-steel work bowl as well to make everything from batter to frosting.
- Compact, lightweight design fits in standard cabinets
- Comes in a variety of bright colors
- Includes two dough hooks and two beaters
- May not be sturdy enough for thick/heavy dough
- Can be a little loud on the highest settings
- Limited variation between the six speed settings
- Price: $42
- Capacity: 3 quarts
- Included: Bowl, 2 dough hooks, 2 beaters
- Features: Compact design, bright colors, portable, 6 speeds
Award: Best Multispeed
The benefit of a stand mixer is its versatility in preparing a wide range of recipes. This particular mixer offers 10 different speed settings.
If you’re going to invest in a stand mixer, you want something versatile enough to handle a wide variety of recipes. The KitchenAid Classic Series stand mixer is our top choice because it is moderately priced, and it has 10 different speed settings.
The KitchenAid Classic Series stand mixer features the classic KitchenAid design and comes with a 4.5-quart stainless-steel bowl. This bowl can hold up to 6 dozen cookies, 6 pounds of mashed potatoes, or 3 loaves of bread all at once. It comes with the standard attachments including a flat beater, a wire whisk, and a dough hook. Plus, it’s compatible with all KitchenAid attachments.
What makes KitchenAid mixers so useful is the 59-point planetary mixing action. This means there are 59 touchpoints per rotation around the bowl which ensures complete and thorough ingredient incorporation, no matter which attachment you’re using. What more could you ask for?
- Large 4.5-quart bowls holds up to 6 dozen cookies
- Choose from 10 different speed settings
- Tile-head design makes it easy to remove the bowl
- May be tricky to scrape down the bowl while mixing
- Bowl may be too large for small batches
- Price: $199
- Capacity: 4.5 quarts
- Included: Bowl, flat beater, wire whip, dough hook
- Features: 10 speeds, tile-head, 275w motor
Award: Best Covered
A multi-speed stand mixer increases the number of recipes you can prepare but it also increases the potential for mess. This mixer features a splash guard to keep ingredients where they belong – in the bowl.
We’ve all made the mistake of turning on the mixer without placing the beaters completely in the bowl. The result is a puff of flour or a shower of ingredients all over the counter. If you’re looking for a stand mixer that keeps your ingredients (and the mess) where they belong, consider the Aucma Stand Mixer.
This stand mixer features a generous 6.5-quart stainless-steel bowl which is one of the largest we’ve seen. What makes this mixer unique, however, is the included splash guard that covers the bowl without interfering with the mixer’s function. The Aucma Stand Mixer comes with the standard flat beater, wire whisk, and dough hook so you can create all your favorite recipes.
In addition to its large capacity and unique splash guard, the Aucma Stand Mixer also features a 660W high-performance pure copper motor in a sturdy ABS housing. This ensures maximum power and durability so you can enjoy your mixer for years to come.
- Generous 6.5-quart capacity with stainless-steel bowl
- Powerful motor with quiet operation
- Comes with splash guard to minimize mess
- Large capacity may be too big for some recipes
- Plastic body may be less durable than other models
- Price: $150
- Capacity: 6.5 quarts
- Included: Stainless-steel bowl, wire whisk, dough hook, beater, splash guard
- Features: Tilt-head, 6 speeds, pulse function, quiet
Do You Really Need a Stand Mixer?
If you’re an avid baker, you already understand the importance of having a good mixer. You’ve gotten used to your hand beater, learning its quirks and speed settings, but you may be wondering if there’s another option. You might be wondering if it’s really worth upgrading to a stand mixer.
Here are some of the benefits of a stand mixer:
- Hands-free operation reduces prep time, freeing up your hands to do other tasks.
- Some stand mixers offer a wider variety of speeds than hand mixers.
- Many stand mixers are compatible with various attachments to increase versatility.
- Stand mixers may yield more consistent results than hand mixing.
- A stand mixer can perform the same function as other small appliances all in one.
- Stand mixers are more reliable and efficient than most hand mixers.
In the end, it may come down to the best value for your money. If you’re having a hard time spending on a stand mixer when hand mixers are so inexpensive, ask yourself how often you’re replacing your hand mixers and other small appliances. Could you save money in the long run by purchasing a durable, multi-purpose stand mixer instead?
What is a Stand Mixer Good For?
A good stand mixer can be pricy, but you don’t necessarily need to spend a small fortune on a professional model. Before making up your mind, it’s a good idea to familiarize yourself with the best ways to use a stand mixer. Then you’ll be able to decide if it’s really worth the cost to upgrade.
Here are some tips for using a stand mixer:
- Use the whisk attachment to whip eggs or heavy cream into soft or stiff peaks – you can even use it to make homemade marshmallow fluff.
- The flat beater is perfect for most tasks including cookie and cake batter, frosting, mixing meatloaf, and even shredding pulled pork or chicken.
- Knead bread with ease using the dough hook – it can be used for everything from pizza dough to cinnamon buns.
- See what attachments are available for your stand mixer – common options include a meat grinder, pasta roller, apple peeler, even an ice cream maker.
Though a stand mixer may cost more than a hand mixer, you’ll definitely get your money’s worth. Depending which attachments you choose, you may even be able to replace several smaller appliances with a single multi-purpose appliance.
The Bottom Line
Whether you bake on a daily basis or you just need something that can reliably whip up fresh cream, a stand mixer is what you want. Stand mixers come in all sizes, colors, and designs with a wide variety of attachments so you can personalize it to your needs and preferences.
A stand mixer may not be an absolute necessity for every household, but it’s definitely a bonus. If you want to keep your cabinets free from clutter and get rid of redundant smaller appliances, invest in a quality stand mixer and enjoy it for years to come.