Nothing quenches your thirst like a cool glass of water but a little sediment or a metallic taste can ruin it for you. When it comes to drinking water, taste isn’t the only thing you should be concerned about – tap water can also contain harmful contaminants like lead, mercury, or even arsenic. If you’re concerned about the health and safety of your family, consider a water purifier. Water purifiers come in a variety of different models that make it easy and affordable to provide your family with safe, clean drinking water.
The Top Water Purifiers
Drinking water is an important element in supporting your health and wellness, but it’s difficult to stick to the habit if you don’t have access to water you can trust. The tap water in many areas not only tastes bad, but it might be contaminated with chemicals or toxins that might harm you and your family.
If you want consistent access to safe, clean drinking water it may be time to invest in a water purifier.
Installing a water purifier in your home improves the taste of the water you drink and ensures the safety of the water you use for cooking and cleaning. Most purifiers are simple to install and though they may require an upfront investment, you’ll save a lot on the cost of bottled water.
Here are the best water purifiers on the market:
Award: Best Faucet Mount
This faucet-mounted water purifier is easy to install and designed to remove 99% of lead and over 70 other contaminants.
The PUR Horizontal Faucet Mount Water Filtration System gives you continuous purification with hassle-free installation. This purifier is designed to remove 99% of lead and over 70 other contaminants with each filter lasting for 100 gallons, about 2 to 3 months of typical use. Not only does it remove contaminants, but the PUR filter improves taste and reduces odor in tap water as well. This faucet-mounted water purifier is affordable and practical. Simply install it on your sink and you’ll enjoy continuous filtration – all you need to do is replace the filter as needed.
- Removes 99% of lead and 70+ contaminants
- Simple to install by screwing it onto the faucet head
- Continuous filtration and purification of tap water
- May leak if not properly installed
- Hot water may compromise the filter
- Type: Faucet mount
- Capacity: Continuous
- Contaminants: 99% lead, over 70 contaminants
- Installation Required: Yes
Award: Best Pitcher Purifier
Fresh, filtered water will always be within reach with this pitcher purifier – keep it on the counter or put it in the fridge to chill.
If your main concern is taste and odor, a pitcher filter might be all you need to purify your drinking water. The Brita Everyday Pitcher is an excellent option because it is affordable, easy to use, and a single filter replaces about 300 standard water bottles. Simply open the lid, fill the reservoir, and let the filter do its work. You can store the pitcher on the counter or pop it in the fridge to keep your water cold.
The Brita Everyday Pitcher features a 10-cup capacity and a single filter is rated for 40 gallons, estimated to last about 2 months for the average household. This pitcher purifier reduces chlorine taste and odor while removing copper, mercury, and cadmium impurities. Plus, it has a locking lid, a soft-grip handle, and a convenient spout for easy pouring.
- Easy to store in the fridge or on the counter
- Improves taste and odor while removing impurities
- One filter replaces about 300 standard water bottles
- May be tricky to tell when the filter needs to be changed
- Filter works fairly slowly
- Type: Pitcher
- Capacity: 10 cups
- Installation Required: No
Award: Best Under-Sink Purifier
This 5-stage filtration system installs directly below your sink, providing you with continuous access to fresh, purified water.
If you’re looking for a long-term solution to your water purification needs, an under-sink filtration system might be the best option. The APEC 5-Stage Reverse Osmosis Water Filtration System removes 99% of contaminants including arsenic, chlorine, lead, fluoride, heavy metals, bacteria, and more. The system comes with a lead-free designer faucet and food-grade tubing with detailed instructions for installation. It may take a little longer than filling a pitcher, but the results are well worth the effort.
The APEC 5-Stage Water Filtration System delivers fresh, clean-tasting water for cooking, cleaning, and drinking. The system is designed for heavy-duty durability with long-lasting filters and leak-free fittings. Once the system is installed, you simply replace the filters as needed to enjoy continuous purification for all of your water needs.
- Removes 99% of contaminants (over 1,000 types)
- Includes 5-stage filtration system
- Some filters last 6 to 12 months, others 2 to 4 years
- Installation takes time and may require special tools
- Requires replacement of the faucet (included)
- Type: Under sink
- Capacity: Continuous
- Contaminants: 99% (over 1,000 contaminants)
- Installation Required: Yes
Award: Best Bottle Purifier
Enjoy clean, filtered water wherever you go with this portable water purifier bottle.
When you’re on the go, you don’t know if you’ll have access to filtered water. Rather than wasting your money on bottled water (not to mention all that plastic), consider a portable option like the LifeStraw Go Water Filter Bottle. This water purifier is perfectly portable and reusable, designed to remove over 99.9% of waterborne bacteria and protozoan parasites without the use of chemicals or iodine.
The LifeStraw Go bottle itself is made from BPA-free Tritan with a food-grade silicone mouthpiece and a generous 23-ounce capacity. This bottle purifier incorporates a 2-stage activated carbon filter which, in addition to removing chlorine, also improves taste and reduces odor. Simply remove the top, fill the bottle, and screw the top back on to enjoy fresh, filtered water. It’s the perfect option for camping, backpacking, and travel – it also makes a great addition to any emergency kit.
- Portable option for purification on the go
- Removes waterborne bacteria and parasites
- 2-stage filtration system reduces odor and aftertaste
- Limited capacity, needs to be refilled
- Can’t be used with liquids other than water
- Type: Bottle
- Capacity: 23 ounces
- Contaminants: 99.9% waterborne bacteria and parasites
- Installation Required: No
Award: Best Countertop Purifier
Enjoy the convenience of filtered water storage without taking up valuable fridge space with this 18-cup countertop water purifier.
If you don’t want to deal with the hassle of installing something on or under your sink, that’s completely understandable. A filter pitcher is great, but it doesn’t tend to hold much and it can take up a lot of space in your fridge. If you’re looking for a convenient solution, a countertop purifier like the PUR Ultimate 18-Cup Water Filter Dispenser might be the perfect option. This countertop filter features a slim profile that saves space, even if you choose to keep it in the fridge.
Though the PUR Ultimate Water Filter Dispenser holds 18 cups of purified water, the unit still fits in your sink which makes it easy to fill. Simply remove the top and fill directly from the tap – the water runs through the filter and into the storage reservoir. When you’re ready to enjoy fresh, clean water, simply use the pull-down tab to pour directly from the spout.
- Holds up to 18 cups of filtered water
- Removes heavy metals, pesticides, and industrial pollutants
- Slim profile conserves space but fits in sink for filling
- Filters water fairly slowly, you may need to wait
- Filter may eventually start to leak
- Type: Countertop
- Capacity: 18 cups
- Contaminants: 99% lead, 22 other contaminants
- Installation Required: No
What Are the Benefits of Home Water Purifiers?
There’s no arguing the importance of staying hydrated but not all water is safe to drink. In many areas, tap water is contaminated with harmful substances like mercury or lead and requires filtration to make it safe to drink. One option is to buy bottled water, but that quickly becomes expensive.
If you’re looking for a cost-effective way to enjoy safe drinking water, installing a water purifier might be the best option. The benefits of water purifiers go well beyond cost, however.
Here are some of the benefits of having a water purifier at home:
- Water that has been purified contains less bacteria, fewer chemicals, and less chemical pollution than water from the tap.
- Installing a water purifier may improve the taste of your tap water by removing contaminants, even if they aren’t dangerous.
- Purifying your water may benefit the cookware and small appliances you use water to clean or operate – high mineral content can cause damage to these things over the long term.
- Installing a water purifier is generally pretty simple and cost-effective, especially when compared to the cost of buying bottled water for yourself and your family.
- Using a water purifier gives you the benefits of filtered water without the waste of plastic bottles, making it good for you and for the environment.
- Clean, purified water may improve your digestion – the more water you drink, the healthier your body will be and that includes your digestion.
You and your family deserve to have the cleanest, safest water to drink. Even if the tap water in your area hasn’t been identified as dangerous, it may not be as clean as you think it is. Installing a water purifier is a simple, cost-effective solution that can boost your family’s health and safety.
Choosing a Water Purifier
The benefits of having a water purifier are difficult to debate, but even if you’ve decided it’s a necessity it can be tough to choose one. There are several different types of water purifier to consider, so take a moment to learn about the different options before you start shopping around.
Here are some of the most popular types of water purifier:
- Pitcher – One of the simplest water purifiers out there is the filter pitcher. You simply fill the water pitcher from the tap and the built-in filter purifies the water for you. You can keep the pitcher in your refrigerator to keep the water cold and refill it as needed.
- Countertop – These devices work in a similar way to pitcher filters, but they have a larger reservoir and they are designed to sit on the counter. Simply refill the reservoir with tap water and enjoy clean, filtered water at the press of a button.
- Under-Sink – An under-sink unit requires a little more work to install, but it purifies the water coming straight of your water lines so all you have to do is turn on the tap.
- Bottle Filter – A pitcher filter is great for grabbing a glass of water at home, but when you’re on the go you can’t always trust the water you have access to is clean. A portable water filter or bottle filter makes it easy to enjoy clean water wherever you are.
- Faucet Mount – These water purifiers mount directly to your sink faucet to remove chlorine, sediment, and other contaminants as the water passes through the device.
Another option is the whole-home filtration system, but these can be expensive to install. If you’re concerned about the safety of your drinking water, one of the options listed above should be sufficient. Just be sure you’re using filtered water for all cooking, cleaning, and drinking applications.
The Bottom Line
Fresh, clean drinking water doesn’t have to be a luxury. With a home water purifier you and your family can enjoy delicious, filtered water with the press of a button or the turn of the tap. Whether you prefer the convenience of a pitcher filter you can keep in the fridge or a long-term option like an under-sink filtration system, there are plenty of options to choose from.
All water purifiers are not created equal and the right choice for your family depends on several factors. Think about how much water you use and for which applications, then consider factors like convenience and cost. When you’re ready to start shopping, start with the recommendations we’ve made above to see if the perfect fit is on the list.